Winner Takes All: The Ultimate Debate between Traditional Marketing vs Digital Marketing
Digital is the new way of living. At least, generation Y and Z say so. But for the millennial and baby boomers, traditional is still alive and competing. What can you say?
This has been the center of debate in different industries. The question of who overpowers who is still a hot question. And no one wants to back down. Now, who will really win the battle between traditional marketing and digital marketing? Here are the facts and it’s for you to decide who is the winner.
Going by Definition
Traditional marketing means putting yourself out there, literally. You have to make yourself physically visible to your audience and entice them through the traditional mediums. What are these things? Well, we can say newspapers, magazines, posters, brochures, flyers and all those printed marketing materials. We can also count TV and radio ads in this category. And don’t even forget the direct sales and mails.
On the other hand, digital marketing is centered upon the use of the internet and other electronic media. Can you give me some examples? Okay, electronic billboards, the internet, social media, mobile phones and applications, and even game consoles are part of this category. If you have named two or more, then you might be a digital consumer.
So now that we have established the distinction between the two marketing types by definition, shall we proceed to their advantages and disadvantages?
Why do it the traditional way?
What? Traditional marketing is dying? You’ve got to be kidding me. There are still marketers who use the same techniques that were employed before the era of computers and the internet. If done right, they are still as effective as before. But what are the benefits of using this technique?
• Traditional marketing is a part of life. – People are accustomed to these strategies already. Talking to sales marketers and finding ads on magazines is something that people do and perhaps will continue to do regardless of new technology. Why? Because not all people are tech-savvy; some of us don’t know how to use the computer or navigate their way on the internet, especially the older generations.
• Traditional marketing offers a tangible reminder. – Talk about brochures and catalogs. There will always be something that will remind you about the products and services that might interest you. And you know what’s the best thing? You can flip through the collaterals during your leisure time.
• Face-to-face communication is still effective. – There are times that talking to an actual person is more effective than any online advertisement. Depending on the type of product or service that you’re trying to sell, direct selling is still an effective way to get your customers.
Why marketers don’t use traditional marketing as often as before?
• It’s very costly. – In order to create a good campaign, you need money to make it work. You have to spend for the marketing collaterals, set aside enough time for the production and if given to the wrong people, you end up wasting your money.
• Results are not easily measured. – Let’s face it, you can’t click a few buttons in order to measure the results of your campaign. Some of the strategies can’t even be measured so you won’t have a point of study. And that’s what makes traditional marketing impractical in the eyes of a marketer.
Alternately, what makes digital marketing fabulous?
Everything you need in just a click of a button. Yep, that’s digital marketing. But I’m not saying it’s the most practical strategy either. And I’m definitely saying that this technique works better than the traditional one. So, why don’t we discover what digital marketing can offer?
• Decisions are easier to make. – Since you can measure results through a simple button, you can easily decide what to do next based on the data derived from numerous online tools. You can even distinguish the demographics of your target audience just by looking at your screen. Hence, you can effortlessly design a targeted campaign.
• Audience reach is wide. – Geographical location and different time zones will never be a barrier. Meaning? You can market your products and services anytime, anywhere. All you have to do is plot a practical schedule, use the digital tools to assist your marketing plots and voila, almost everyone in the world can see your marketing plan.
• Interactivity is a great advantage. – You know people are socially active online, right? So, you can take advantage of their surfing habits to create an effective marketing campaign. You can use social media sites as a platform. You can post updates, answer questions and improve your whole customer service in a jiffy. You can also join discussions and forum sites to encourage more brand followers.
What’s wrong with digital marketing?
• Technique relies heavily on tech-savvy audience. – Have you ever thought about those who can’t access the net? How about those people who don’t have the luxury of checking the online world regularly because they don’t have the device or the internet connection? Well, you’re gonna lose a considerable market share if this thing happens.
• It demands time and effort. – Since you need to make your brand known, you will have to employ the magic of SEO. And it’s not an easy feat to do so. You need to create regular, high-quality content to build your links around the web and rank higher in search engines. Plus, the competition is too tight that you always have to think outside the box in order to be catch and hold the attention of your target market for a long time.
Traditional AND Digital: Perfect Marketing Combination
In the end, there is no winner or loser in this issue. Only you, as the marketer, emerge as the winner in everything. Because you now have a wide array of choice when it comes to marketing whatever you’re trying to sell. So why are you still here? Think of how you can combine both of these techniques and see your sales soar in a higher level of success.
Care to share what you think?
Ebook Marketing 101: Tips on How to Market An EbookMarch 21st, 2015